81% of Iceland’s primary energy is renewable, with the remaining 19% oil used almost exclusively for transportation.

As an active volcanic island, geothermal heat is abundant and is Iceland’s main energy source. It accounts for about 90% of space heating, thanks to the country’s extensive district heating system.

Icelandic energy consumption is heavily influenced by industry developments. In 2008 the country’s third aluminium smelter began operation. The hydropower plant built to power the facility increased the country’s electricity consumption by a half.

Data source: IEA