What is Nordic Clean Energy Scenarios?
Nordic Clean Energy Scenarios has two aims: To identify and help prioritise necessary actions leading up to 2030 through scenario modelling, and to map potential long-term pathways to carbon neutrality…
Nordic Clean Energy Scenarios has two aims: To identify and help prioritise necessary actions leading up to 2030 through scenario modelling, and to map potential long-term pathways to carbon neutrality thereafter.
The intention is that Nordic Clean Energy Scenarios can support the joint Declaration on Nordic Carbon Neutrality.
Supporting the Nordic Vision
Nordic Clean Energy Scenarios guides you through the Nordic energy system and illustrates how the Nordic countries can achieve the Nordic Vision 2030 to become the most sustainable and integrated region in the world, by making the green transition to carbon neutrality a reality.
The Nordic Clean Energy Scenario builds on earlier Nordic Energy Research efforts: The two reports Nordic Energy Technology Perspectives published in 2013 and 2016. These reports drew on the best available knowledge at the time. However, the rapidly changing landscape of the energy sector has seen cost declines for energy technologies that were unimaginable a few years ago, while ambitions to curb climate change have risen around the world. These developments have changed the prospects for certain technologies and the conditions for the Nordic energy system, highlighting the need for an updated analysis.
While the Nordic Energy Technology Perspectives series analysed additional costs and changes when increasing climate ambitions in the scenarios, the three scenarios presented in Nordic Clean Energy Scenarios all reach carbon neutrality by 2050, but through different technological and societal pathways. This helps to illustrate how political choices might shape the future of the Nordic energy system.
The three scenarios developed and explored in the project are:
- Carbon Neutral Nordic (CNN) seeks the least-cost pathway, taking into account current national plans, strategies, and targets.
- Nordic Powerhouse (NPH) explores the opportunity for the Nordics to play a larger role in the broader European energy transition by providing clean electricity, clean fuels, and carbon storage.
- Climate Neutral Behaviour (CNB) reflects Nordic societies adopting additional energy and material efficiency measures in all sectors, ultimately leading to lower demand for both.
Objectives: Nordic Clean Energy Scenarios
Nordic Clean Energy Scenarios aimed to:
- Develop carbon-neutral energy scenarios for the Nordic region.
- Contribute to strengthening Nordic cooperation and expertise in energy modelling and further develop cooperation between Nordic energy modellers and energy model research communities.
- Identify and analyse energy technologies with significant global and Nordic climate change mitigation potential.
- Develop a Nordic energy statistics database with aggregated data.
- Energiforsk – overall project management
- IVL Swedish Environmental Research Institute – scientific manager
- Nordic Energy Research – has funded the project and appointed the project’s steering group and acted as coordinator and administrative project manager throughout the project period